You can keep your jewelry looking beautiful by limiting exposure to certain conditions. Lotions, creams and daily grooming products can expose jewelry to harmful chemicals. These chemicals can leave a residue on jewelry creating a dull film that is very difficult to remove. To prevent buildup, remove your jewelry before bathing and grooming and put on your jewelry as the finishing touch. Remove jewelry before doing chores. Abrasive household cleaners can leave dulling scratches. Bleach, Water and Jewelry Do Not Mix. Chlorine bleach can destroy the finish on your silver jewelry. When silver is exposed to chlorine bleach it can turn an unsightly black. Water can weaken springs and clasps so thoroughly dry your jewelry after exposure to water, especially before storing it in an enclosed space. It is especially important that you remove all jewelry when working with power tools. Jewelry may get caught on a power tool and break or cause serious injury. Finally, keep jewelry covered and away from dust and dirt when storing.